The evidence against genetic engineering
- GE foods are not safe! Genetic engineering as used in crop development is not precise, predictable or safe. Unexpected toxins or allergens can be produced in food.
- We are already eating untested GE foods! No long-term toxicological testing of GMOs on animals or testing on humans is required by any regulatory agency in the world.
- GE foods are harmful for humans and animals! GE foods have not been tested on humans. They have been tested on animals and shown disturbances in liver and kidney function and immune responses.
- GE crops INCREASE harmful herbicide use! Over 75% of GE crops are engineered to tolerate applications of herbicides. This has led to massive increases in herbicide use. Roundup, the most widely used herbicide, is NOT safe. It causes birth defects, reproductive problems, DNA damage, and cancer in test animals. Scientists have found an association between Roundup exposure in humans and miscarriage, birth defects, neurological development problems, DNA damage, and certain types of cancer.
- Insect pests are becoming resistant to GE crops! Pests are becoming resistant to the Bt toxin in GE crops, and secondary pest infestations are becoming common.
- GE crops will not feed the world! GE crops do not offer higher yields or cope better with drought than GE-free crops.
- GE crops reduce farmer choice! Once GE companies gain control of the seed market, they withdraw GE-free seed varieties from the market.
- GE crops reduce consumer choice! GE contamination of GE-free and organic crops has resulted in massive financial losses by the food and feed industry, involving product recalls, lawsuits, and lost markets.
- Conventionally bred, locally adapted and organic crops are better and safer than GE! Conventional breeding, which continues to outstrip genetic engineering in producing high-yielding, pest- and disease-resistant, drought-tolerant, and nutritionally improved super-crops.
Source: “GMO Myths and Truths”, by Michael Antoniou et al. HYPERLINK “http://earthopensource.org/index.php/reports/58″
Soil & Health / Organic NZ supports healthy, organic GE-free food and farming.